Monday, October 3, 2011

Nuit Blanche DC - The Wonder Bread Factory

When I used to live in Paris, I went to a few of the Nuit Blanche's that are organized around this time each year. I enjoyed going to them and seeing the different art exhibits and installations that were displayed during the event. Events such as the Nuit Blanche and the Fete de la Musique are aspects that I enjoyed about my life in Paris.


The Nuit Blanche concept has been imported across the Atlantic to Washington, DC. The city held its first ever Nuit Blanche during the weekend of September 24-25 with 20 different art installations around the Shaw and Chinatown neighborhoods.  The first installation that I went to was at an old Wonder Bread Factory near Howard University.  The building dates back to the early 20th century. The factory was closed in the 1980s and the building has been empty since.  The building is supposed to be redeveloped into apartments or commercial space at some point. The building hosted several different events including art exhibitions and concerts. One section of the building was lit up by a few bright lights. These lights exposed the age and made for interesting shadows to photograph.  I had to max out the ISO on my D50 to 1600 as the light inside was dim. These photos were taken with my wide angle zoom, my 35mm and 50mm lenses most at max aperture. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment