Sunday, January 22, 2012

The First (Real) Day of Winter


The month of December really didn't seem that cold in DC for 2011. In fact on New Years Day, it had reached a high of 60F (16C approx). Just a few days after New Years Day, on January 4,  I woke up at a quarter to six. Looking at the weather conditions on my computer, I saw that it was a mere 17 degrees (approx -8C) outside on my computer. That seemed like quite a drop in temperature from Sunday. I decided to head downtown to take some early morning photos wearing two pairs of jeans and a few sweaters, a thermal, a fleece and a jacket. I found myself at the reflecting pool in front of the Capitol building at around 6:30. When I got there, the sky was clear. However, as the sun rose, the clouds arrived.

Although it wasn't too breezy, it was bitter cold. The few droplets of water, which had landed on my camera bag during a pit stop at Starbucks had frozen. Yes, the winter tempertures had finally arrived!  Here are just a few early morning shots of the Capitol that I captured from that day. While I was there shooting, a little web footed friend came to join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment